5 Reason's Why COVID-19 Restriction Doesn't Have to be Horrible.

5 Reason's Why COVID-19 Restriction Doesn't Have 
to be Horrible.



Ok, so maybe I'm just looking for the silver lining? Maybe I'm an eternal optimist? Or maybe I'm just looking for a reason to avoid all the doomsday predictions out there.  What ever it is, I'm not finding this whole "shelter in place" "quarantine yourselves" absolutely horrible.  

Of course it's horrible for those who get it and their families, especially for those who are at risk of a more serious infection. My heart and prayers go out to those who have it or have family members affected. But for the rest of us in the general population, for the most part-we're stuck at home for some family time with members we don't usually get to hang out with.  

Now, before I get to the 5 Reasons's Why-let me preface this by saying-it's not all roses and sunshine. For those of us with family tension, job loss and small homes (this is me) this time at home with loved ones can turn south real quick.  Add in some rain keeping you from going outside and you have a recipe for disaster.  So, try to keep a level head, make sure to take a time out- like children- adults need time outs too, and remember EVERYONE is in the same boat, rest assured-you are not alone.


So, 5 Reasons why this doesn't HAVE to be Horrible.

1. It is forcing us to take a break-

Yes, take a break.  Whether that's because we're laid off, have no school or just can't go anywhere, it's a break none the less.  Sometimes, I think we all need a break. I don't know about you, but lately, I've found that the pace of life is too quick and it gets quicker and more frantic everyday.  Somedays, the whole day goes by and I can't even remember what I did.  I'm not sure, but I get the feeling I'm not the only one with this problem.  

It's easy to find articles and blogs about How to be More Productive, Get the Most Out of Your Day, How to Accomplish More on Less Time, etc. etc.  While the intention is good, trying to increase our productivity and attempting to get us to reach our goals, sometimes I crave a slower paced lifestyle.  In the middle of my working frenzy I find myself envying those who don't care about getting the most they can done, but those who just care about getting something done and enjoying their day.  

Apparently I'm not the only one who thinks so.  According to Pew Researcher Center's Website in an article from 02/5/2020*: "In a 2016 survey, about half of Americans (52%) said they’re usually trying to do two or more things at once. But just 11% of Americans said the fast pace of their lives was harming their health. In a 2018 survey, 60% of U.S. adults said they at least sometimes felt too busy to enjoy life, but just 12% said they felt this way all or most of the time."  60% of U.S. Adults said they at least sometimes felt too busy to enjoy life and 52% said they were usually trying to do two or more things at once.  
The Overcommitted Multi-tasker

While I will admit I am an overcommitter-I do also understand that when one attempts to do more than one things at once-general they do nothing well.  Without being able to focus on one thing at a time-like family or work-we end up spinning our wheels and going no where fast.  Taking a break to stop doing so much at once, isn't necessarily a bad thing.


2. We Get To Spend Time With Family & Friends

For those of us who are so busy we rarely know where we've been (see #1) we often lose track of our time. Time is a precious commodity-I would argue that it is THE most precious one.  It is the only thing we cannot get back once it's spent and oftentimes we don't realize that until we don't have much left.  This is an opportunity to recognize that our time is important-so much more important than we often realize and not just to us.  Many of us unfortunately don't grasp how important our loved ones are until we can't spend time with them anymore.  This is our chance to reconnect with those whom we are often too busy too spend time with.  And now, more than ever many of those we don't get to see often, need to see us! Whether virtually or from a distance, across the street, or from the car window.  Those of us with elderly family, friends or neighbors should check in with those people.  Not only are they part of the at risk group but they are the most isolated-as they are not supposed to leave, and many already spent limited amounts of time with otherwise "busier" family and friends before this started.  

This is also an opportunity to catch up with your children-if you have any.  I know from personal experience, sometimes I feel like I don't get to have a real conversation with my children.  Between all of us our lives are so busy-working, phone calls, meetings, school, practices, play dates it can all be overwhelming.  Since they aren't in school and I'm not having actual meetings at work we've had a lot of time to talk and hang out.  Granted I'm still their mother and much of our time together is spent breaking up arguments and making people "be nice" for my own sanity, we are still having much more meaningful time together than we've had a chance to have in the recent past.

3. This is an opportunity to help others-  

I am aware that many people right now are in tight spots that are only going to get tighter.  While the Federal and State governments are attempting to get breaks for homeowners, renters and payments of all kinds, for some, just eating is difficult.  When entire families are unable to make ends meet it is heartbreaking.  It's bad enough that people are getting sick and can't go out and socialize to increase morale, but then there are people literally hungry.  Many of those in this situation are those who also have the most to lose, they are the biggest at risk population.  The elderly and those with a compromised immune system are not supposed to go out at all, many are unable too and that leaves them having difficulties getting food and medicines that they need to survive.  If you are one of the luckier ones, this could be an opportunity for you to help your neighbor, friend or someone you may know who could really use it.  See if there are any groups in your area that are helping those in need. I know of many Facebook groups, Churches and Senior Centers asking for volunteers or donations.  If your family is well, and you are following proper protocols, you could help out those in your community who could use it. You can do everything from making an extra meal for a neighbor, to delivering medications to making meals at the center for Meals on Wheels.   I mean, really, what else are you doing with your time? Get off the internet and do something that is not only good for others but good for your soul too.

4. I don't have time to  . . .(insert what ever it is here)-

I'm totally guilty of this.  This statement has done two things. 

1. Made me realize that I actually do have time in my regular crazy schedule, that I just don't make those things a priority.  2. I could just be lazy. 

I "thought" I didn't have time to do so many projects at home.  Well, now I'm home and guess what-I haven't done them.  Yep, I'm that person.  They are all well meaning ideas, painting my living room, cleaning out closets and the vague and dreaded "getting organized". But they are still undone.

I have however done many other things that were not on my "If I only had more time list".  I have started cooking for my family every day-which is something I thought I didn't have time for.  I do straighten my house everyday.  And while I do jest at all the projects I yearned to do, many are actually getting done.  We planted our spring garden, cleaned up our yard, fixed the chicken pen and clipped their wings (sorry chickens, no more flights of fancy for you!).  These are all projects that were on my "to-do" list, that just never seemed to get done.  What projects around your house have you avoided forever?  I'm sure there are some.  They don't have to be expensive, they can be anything from cleaning out the 'junk' drawer, to cleaning the oven.  The little things that take the time we never seem to have.  Well, now you do.  




This is also a golden opportunity to get your kids involved (if you have any).  My husband and I developed the philosophy that we all live here and we all participate in how we live here.  This means that my kids have age appropriate chores, and no-they don't get an allowance for doing them.  We explained that as adults we don't get paid for doing our own laundry or washing our own dishes.  They will be expected to do this as adults for themselves without any sort of reimbursement.  If they learn to do it for themselves and how much work it is, they are less likely to create more work for others, whether that be roommates or future spouses.  Carrying your own weight is an important life skill. This also translates to all the at home projects we haven't gotten to. Often times our homes get neglected because we are so busy just living life and making a living.  This is an opportunity to not only work on your home but give your children a lesson in maintenance.  All things worth having require it, your home is no exception.  Have those miniature versions of yourself help you in your repairs or maintenance.  They will learn something, something will get fixed and they will get to spend time with you! It's a Win-Win-Win.  And before you moan about how much longer it takes with children-what else are you doing?? Remember, we're under "stay at home" orders.  You can't go anywhere anyway.

5.I'm viewing it as a Staycation-

In nearly all the reasons why this isn't super horrible, I like this one the most.  As someone who works in a profession that is often go go go, phone ringing all hours and constantly being reachable planning a vacation is a lot like trying to coordinate the Rover Mars Landing. A staycation sounds wonderful.  You could just take it easy.  Relax, enjoy the time of doing nothing.  You have no where to go, no one to see, and nothing to do.  You don't have to get out of your pajamas if you don't want to.  Have your Zoom meeting without pants on-who's going to know?  Just don't get up to answer the door or anything!  

Get yourself some margarita mix, turn up the heater and have a "spring break" party.  You can FaceTime friends if you want to and have them have their own party at their homes.  It doesn't have to be boring, unless you want it to be.  Sleep in a little, binge watch a T.V. show, make a cake for no reason at all.  How often do you get to stay at home and it's not because you or a family member is sick?  I know I have often wished that I could just stay home and take a day off without having to do anything.  Well, here's my chance.  It's your once in a lifetime opportunity to hang out.  Take it and run.  Don't look back, don't be apologetic and ignore all the"influencers" and blog posters allegedly making the most of their home time to get ahead.  I'm not saying waste the entire time we're home, but don't feel guilty about taking a few days to do nothing.  It's a vacation you don't have to pay for because you're already there!  And rest assured, no one will come and interrupt your vacation, because like you, they are at home too.



*https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2020/02/05/how-americans-feel-about-the-satisfactions-and-stresses-of-modern-life/

Comments

Past Posts