The End, Came and Went . . .

     I don't know about you, but I never looked forward to the end of a year so much before last year.  It was one news headline after another. Between health care, bomb scares, pirates and celebrities. I'm Tired.  Tired of the endless stream of news. Tired of constantly knowing what everyone else is doing.  Tired of being so connected!

     Looking back, I realized we have never before been so available.  We're connected by phones, e-mails, text messages, Twittering and Facebook pages.  We can find out what anyone we ever knew or haven't ever met is doing right now, at this very moment.  The constant influx of information is staggering.  Ever wonder why you can't remember anything?  We're too busy keeping track of information we don't have a use for, at least I now I am!

     I don't usually make New Year's Resolutions, but this year I made an exception.  This year's resolution, ironically, was to be more connected.  Put the eyebrow down, I mean more connected in a personal sense.  While I long onto Facebook and chat with friends in distant lands, see their kids pictures and reminisce about time spent together. I rarely get out of my office let alone my house.  Strangely, many I converse with via phone, text or e-mail, aren't actually out doing anything either. Which led me to my new found resolution.

     If we got out of our houses/offices and SAW people face to face, would we have better connections with them? Would we have deeper relationships? Would we meet new and exciting people? Or conversely, would we not like them at all? Maybe we would remember why we lost touch in the first place? Who knows, but its worth a try.  Our world these days is so small, the information is never ending.  I can tell you what Somali pirates looked like who hijacked a freighter in the Indian Ocean, but I can't tell you what my neighbors look like, or even how old they are.

     While discontinuing my addiction to the electronic world all together is not possible, I am trying cut down my use and make more time for real face to face connections.  Get to know people better on a personal basis, not just a digital one.  Its an uphill battle and nearly a quarter of the way into the year, I'm not doing so well, but I'll keep working on it!

     Come to think of it,  this a principal of the Holiday's anyway. Spending quality time with friends and family.  Sharing a  laugh, sharing memories and creating new ones.  All things that are difficult to do in a virtual world. After all, you can't smell hot apple cider or the fresh baked cookies you made with your kids in a digital picture.  Events that trigger our fondest memories have to be experienced to be appreciated.

I'll continue my quest to be more personally connected, and maybe one day I'll meet you!

Gigi



Comments

Past Posts